Hofstadter - Godel, Escher, Bach
Book is not about math, art, and music relations
Book is about patterns, the more abstract layer on top of the raw information in the brain
Describes the self-referential “I”
- godel’s incompleteness theorem showed that it is impossible to construct a set of axioms that exist outside mathematics, all axioms are “incomplete”
Kurt Godel vs bertrand russel and alfred north whitehead in principa mathmatica
How do maeningless symbols give causal meaning in a rules-based meaning-free universe?
Similar to a TV camera pointed @ the TV screen
It’s the patterns that arise! Not the raw information stored, but how these patterns are arranged and laid out!
What is a melody vs harmony?
Crab canons and isomorphism (information preseriving transformations)
Strange loops -> moving upwards or downwards through a level results with what you started
Godel numbering and godel codes
Aristotle -> syllogism -> Boole and de Morgan Euclid -> Geometry -> non-enuclian geometry
Cantor set theory?
Mathematics and metalogic
hilbert wanted to demostrate that systems in princpa mathematica were consistent & complete
Babbage and his difference engine
Is there incompleteness in AI?
holfstander talks about rules based AI, but what about statistical AI?
Formal semantics do not need to be proved -> they are produced statements
Informal systems arise from axioms, which give birth to theorems
Computing is symbol shunting, and people tend to recongize the patterns
Intelligence is when you can jump out of a tax and surveil what has already been done
geb chapter 2
geb chapter 3
geb chaper 4 (consistency, completeness, and geometry)
geb chapter 5 (recursive structures)
geb chapter 6 (the location of meaning)
Links to this note
- geb chaper 4 (consistency, completeness, and geometry)
- geb chapter 2
- geb chapter 3 (figure and ground)
- geb chapter 5 (recursive structures)
- geb chapter 6 (the location of meaning)
- geb chapter 7 (the propositional calculus)
- geb chapter 8 (typographical number theory)
- geb, ecology of mind, psychosis and islam blog post
- MU puzzle
- zeno's paradoxes