Turabian - A Manual for Writers
Tags: books, writing
Interrogate your topic:
- How does the topic fit into a larger context? Historical, social, cultural, geographic, functional, economic, etc
- How do the topics fit into a larger story?
- How is the topic a functioning part of the system?
- How does the topic compare and contrast to other topics like it?
- How has the topic changed through time? Why? What is its future?
- How does the part of your topic fit together as a system?
- How many categories of your topic are there?
- Turn positive questions into negative ones
- Ask speculative questions
- Ask “What if” questions
- Ask questions that reflect disagreements with a source
- Ask questions that reflect agreements and expand upon those agreements
- Ask questions analogous to those others have asked about similar topics