Garling: Approaching religion through linguistics
papers, religion, languages/linguistics
- Makes the difference between critque and criticism
- Attempts to offer up a way to analyze religion by not looking at where they are common, but question the unity of the text
- However, still sees the text as fundalmentally anthropological in approach
- three layers of thematic, argumenative, and grammatical
- What if we moved beyond religion as text to religion as performance?
- are anthropoloigsts too eager to draw casual conclusions w/o statistics?
- funnily enough sociologists are less willing
- “It symbolises internal consistency without denying conflicting, fractured and uneven parts. Knots can be unravelled, their unity can be questioned, and they can be re-fastened in different ways.”