Blocq: The Fog of UN Peacekeeping
Blocq, Daniel S. “The Fog of UN Peacekeeping: Ethical Issues Regarding the Use of Force to Protect Civilians in UN Operations.” Journal of Military Ethics 5, no. 3 (November 2006): 201–13. https://doi.org/10.1080/15027570600911928.
- Argues that UN peacekeepers need to determine a moralistic and new approach post-Brahimi report
- Asks that the rules of engagement be reconsidered, that modern day peacekeepers must take on a moralistic, and not only legalistic, perspective to this
- Peacekeepers must be prepared to operate in a “fog”
- democratic republic of the congo (DRC), sierra leone, and cote d’ivore were the ones explicitly allowed in 2006 to use force
- Hammarskjold developed the peacekeeping model following the Suez crisis